Oil keeps the engine of your vehicle running smoothly. That is why it is important to make a habit of checking your oil every month, in addition to scheduling regular oil changes.
Here is a step-by-step guide to checking the oil in your car:
- First, locate your oil dipstick. If you are unsure of its location, you can reference the manual of your vehicle. Make sure that your car has been turned off for at least fifteen minutes before checking the oil, so your check is accurate.
- Next, pull out the dipstick and wipe it clean on a freshly-washed, rag that is free of lint.
- After the dipstick has been cleaned of all oil, stick it back into the pipe. It may get stuck on the way back in. In that case, turn the dipstick around and insert again.
- Pull the dipstick out for a second time and see where the film of oil falls on the oil indicator. There should be two lines, which indicate “full” and “add,” or similar language. If your oil falls between the two lines, your oil is at a safe level. If it is very close to or past the “add” line, your car needs more oil and soon.
- Replace the dipstick into the pipe, and you’re done!
Follow these simple steps to checking the oil in your vehicle and you’ll be sure to know before your oil needs to be filled or changed. As a reminder, if your oil is dirty or if it has the smell of gasoline, it is a sign that your oil needs to be changed immediately. Don’t hesitate in taking your vehicle into a car mechanic as soon as possible to get an oil change. Getting the oil changed quickly is critical to the continued health of your vehicle.
Collinsville Auto Repair is your local car mechanic serving Canton, CT and surrounding area. Whether you vehicle needs an oil change or a tune up, the friendly team of experienced mechanics will get your vehicle back on the road quickly. Call us today or email us to schedule an appointment for your vehicle.